[lugm.org] University of Mauritius Head technician

Nishal Goburdhan ndg at ieee.org
Wed Apr 18 08:55:55 UTC 2012

On Apr 17, 2012, at 11:56 PM, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm taking a module known as parallel programming that involves
> C & MPI.
>
> The lab is so flaky that ping gets over 100 ms on a LAN, and LAN hosts
> disappear.

this isn't uncommon;  university networks in our region are typically not as well run as they could be.

> To complete my assignment, I setup a 10 node cluster running GNU/Linux in my house using
> the PCs I found around.
>
> When I came forward and proposed to show them how to setup a proper cluster,
> the head technician told me that he had no idea what's a BIOS boot sequence is about.

i agree with what selven wrote;  it's not fair to dump on the technician when, he may be doing the best that he can.

here's a not-so-novel suggestion:  a few weeks ago, there was a request for 'activities'  for the lugm;  surely there's enough systems and networking know-how here to help fix a bunch of problems at the local university.
put it on your activity list for 2012/2013 to help the UoM/UTM/..whoever/ design and setup a proper environment to do (in this case) clustering.
and even if you don't get to the implementing phase, if you document this well enough, and make that open for people to see/share/collaborate/improve on....<cough> wiki </cough>....people will use (and even copy) your ideas.
and there's a lot less leverage for them to say that they don't know how to do something, if it's well written up and presented.
it's really good public regulation for the LUG, and there's overall good benefit for the recipient.
of course, it means doing some work - not just replying to mail from the comfort of your armchair...  :-)

so how about that activity list then ...  ?

i'm not advocating that you fix the world's problems;  but here the LUGM has a chance to share know-how in a way that will make a difference;  and hopefully inspire the next generation of upcoming users.
there's really no point complaining, unless you're going to either complain constructively, in a way that resolves the problem, or help to fix the problem yourself... :-)

--n.