[lugm.org] Visibility and awareness of LUGM

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Thu Jan 20 07:16:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The consensus is:

(1) People should contribute more posts on lugm.org. One interesting avenue
to explore is to install http://feedwordpress.radgeek.com/ on lugm.org which
would pull in posts from our existing blogs and automatically publish them
on lugm.org.

    Jochen's feed is http://jochen.kirstaetter.name/blog/linux.feed?type=rss
    Mine is http://www.noulakaz.net/weblog/category/lugm/feed/

Ajay, can you please install FeedWordPress and set it up in such a way that
my posts appear under username 'avinash' and Jochen's under his own? I have
not published anything tagged lugm up to now but I'll do that as soon as
FeedWordPress is installed (I've already written the article.)

(2) Revive the forum. It's true newbies need a "place" to ask questions. Why
not use our Facebook presence more? After all, all newbies are on
Facebook... I setup a Facebook group in November 2007 and it's found at

     http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2382614099

I propose that we invite more people to that group (especially newbies) and
lurk there to help them. What do you think?

As for Ronny's comment, here is what I think:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Ronny R. <redoverlord at gmail.com> wrote:

> as time goes, LUGS as ajay said are no more same.
> but now, for most of us in the LUGs, we are professionals with less time to
> do the main goal of the LUGs: advocate for linux (and open source)

True. All of us 40'ers are busy juggling with many things at the same time.

> AND THAT THE PROBLEM OF MAURITIUS.
> we dont attract people because all the jobs are winblow$ based-

I don't think so. We don't attract people because we are not attractive
enough. We should be more visible and be more proactive.

as for now, what i see, is that most of us in the linux world in mauritus,
> well we are all self learners and dont really need teaching cos dont forget,
> we all learnt linux by ourselfs with a little/big help from the veterans(not
> in age though)

So meetings wont be that interresting for us. (even though one regarding
> capturing films from myt was quite interresting - demo given from a guy who
> was using tin cans as wifi antennas :) )
> UNLESS we do manage to get a group of convinced newbies.
> But how?

Via Facebook. That's the only thing which is nice with Facebook if you think
of it: there are a lot of newbies there :-)

Avinash

--
*Avinash Meetoo**
**Managing-Director of Knowledge Seven*

Call me on 493-9394 (Mobile) or 464-7446 (Office)
Visit www.knowledge7.com and our other sister
websites<http://www.knowledge7.com/page/internet-services>