[lugm.org] RIP Shailen Surat

aadil at lavabit.com aadil at lavabit.com
Tue Dec 7 17:15:00 UTC 2010

I just got home minutes ago and saw this mail.  I refused to believe it at
first and phoned Ajay immediately, who confirmed the dreadful news.

Needless to say that I am shocked and saddened to hear the news of his
sudden departure.

To some of you he was the guy who opened Tux Cafe some years back.

To me, Shailen was the guy who brought an Alienware laptop to a
blue-collar Open Source workshop some years ago and fired up Quake 3 Arena
in CPM mode as a main presentation topic, instead of the customary boring
presentation slides. (pic:
http://lugm.org/wp-content/gallery/open-source-workshop/a005.jpg)

He was also the guy who volunteered his time, with Ajay and Yash, when the
MULG (the old LUG I founded 9 years ago) along with the LUGM participated
in Infotech 2004, thanks to Dave from ISOC (Internet Society of Mauritius)
who kindly offered to share their exhibitor's space.
(pic:http://lugm.org/wp-content/gallery/infotech-2004/sany0108.jpg)

He was the guy running Enlightenment E17 with Entrance around the time I
thought GNOME with gtk1 was awesome and slick.

He was also a friend.

Rest in peace indeed.