[lugm.org] Pile of Dr Dobbs issues for Library

Avinash Meetoo avinash at noulakaz.net
Tue Jul 7 15:37:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Loganaden Velvindron<gnukid1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Dr Stefan Brandle has generously donated a couple
> of (recent) Dr Dobbs magazines to LUGM.
>
> Those will be available at the next meeting, if the
> Managing Committee does not have any objections :-)

Excellent news, Logan!

As a matter of fact, I am (was?) an avid fan of the famous DrDobbs
Journal (which is not printed anymore now -- it's only available
online at http://www.ddj.com/ and as a small supplement in the
Software Developer magazine if I am not mistaken...)

But, around 1990, when I was 16-17, I fondly remember saving my money
to buy each issue. It was around Rs 100 at that time. The content was
fantastic. There were excellent articles by real geeks and software
developers and there were a lot of code to read (I miss this. I'm
bored with those "IT" magazines with superficial articles but without
a single line of code to marvel at...)

I have around 20-30 issues dating from that time that I still read
from time to time... with a lot of emotion :-)

Interestingly, the last editor of DrDobbs Journal, Michael Swaine, is
now the editor for the new magazine being published online by the
Pragmatic Programmers. Check it at http://www.pragprog.com/magazines

Avinash

--
avinash at noulakaz.net - http://www.noulakaz.net/ - (230) 493-9394

Those who fail to understand C++ are doomed to reimplement it. Better. [Jez]